Wax, or The Discovery of Television Among the Bees

Wax, or The Discovery of Television Among the Bees ★★★★★

Final film of pd187's 13 week esoteric/hidden knowledge & 8th-dimensional killuminati broadcasts challenge/ley lines/skeleton key/scavenger hunt

At the end of the story, I was still dead.

I didn't know this going in, but this was a really good one to end on, because it combines ideas and themes from virtually every other week of this challenge, synthesizing them into a brand new, self-contained, and intensely personal mythology. Through calm, matter-of-fact narration, David Blair invents a recursive and singular birth-death cycle for our era (guilt through birth, complicity through life, vengeance through death), spun over bizarrely cropped, mirrored, and constantly warping frames of his character wandering through deserts, caves, and military sites in a full beekeeper outfit, all accompanied by mesmerizing, primitive computer animations.

It's extremely special, and an instant favorite for me.

This challenge has been really fun, and an excellent balm to the almost nonstop bullshit of the last couple of months. At a time when I've been struggling to find the time and motivation to watch stuff, being forced to check out some cool shit once a week, a lot of which I might never have sought out on my own, has been revitalizing, so big thanks to pd for making that happen.

dnealx6 liked these reviews