Professor Marston and the Wonder Women ★★★★

So my expectations coming into this is that we would meet the man who created Wonder Woman and understand something about his background as a professor. And some women. I guess I just explained the title to you. I'm sorry about that.

The women are (1) his wife and (2) his student, and he does invent Wonder Woman along the way, but otherwise we're dealing pretty exclusively with polyamory, bondage, submission, and a mess of other kinks present in these people's lives. I'm not saying that's good or bad, I'm just saying that I was really not expecting a sex-charged psychological drama going in.

The test here, then, is whether the film can get you to go along with all this stuff. It is a testament to writer / director Angela Robinson that this is more captivating than off-putting, more illuminating and explaining than confessing or divulging. The three leads are great, though I don't know anything about any of them. The story is obviously staggering, if it's anywhere near resembling what actually happened.

Speaking of "going along with it" I guess there were a couple times where it seemed like the consenting adults flipped from "game" to "struggling with all this" just to give us a conflict for the script to resolve. But that's forgivable. Overall, I thought this was an informative and adult antidote to what has probably been too much comic-book stuff over the past year.

Dan liked this review