Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko ★★★★½

Still one of the films I revisit every year when Autumn starts rolling round because it just gets me in the mood. Donnie Darko is a movie I appreciate more and more each time I watch it. Mainly due to its meticulously detailed, yet endearingly mysterious storytelling and fascinating take on a sci-fi time travel tale. Also I discovered that the director's cut is the inferior version in many regards, so watching the more streamlined and abstractly told theatrical cut has only strengthened my fondness.

There's a ton of great film-making on show here while retaining a down to Earth sort of feeling which only empathises the mystery and haunting of the dream-like sequences where Frank the bunny show up. I still get chills watching the cinema scene as well as seeing Frank first show up on the golf course. Tackling an end of the world, time-travel story in such an understated way is also still pretty unique. All of the low-stakes, day to day stuff going on as Donnie silently causes havoc and talks to his imaginary bunny friend is amusing and often endearing from an emotional standpoint. I really appreciated the ending this time around, really nailing an emotional stinger to punctuate the build-up from the opening scene.

We're at the point where we can call this film a classic now and it's definitely worthy of such a status. A shame Richard Kelly only really has this that can be fully appreciated in his filmography, as the theatrical cut shows that he can be pushed to make something fantastic.

Block or Report