Ex Machina

Ex Machina ★★★★

Ex Machina is a thought provoking and very topical film regarding A.I. It features a great directing debut for esteemed writer Alex Garland, as well as offering a showcase for three very talented up and comers; Domhnall Gleeson, Oscar Isaac and Alicia Vikander.

The plot wasn't as cliched as I was worried it may be, and caught me off guard with its twists and great characters. Oscar Isaac in particular was fantastic and his character was very interesting and believable.

The vision of the (not so distant) future on display is very cool and also slightly worrying in ways shown in the film. It definitely succeeds in making you think about the effects that advanced A.I. can have on society. The way the Ava looks is pretty damn good as well, really clean, seamless CGI.

Overall it was pretty great, I had one small problem with the story (see below) but for the most part I found it to be a very enjoyable and different sci-fi film.

The problem I had with the story was near the end, when Nathan realises that Ava has gotten out of her room. Did he really not think to have developed a sort of master off switch for her? He knew that she disliked him and wanted to escape, so did he not want to have a fail safe in case she did somehow escape..? I guess you could see it as a flaw of his character, that he believes that no one can outsmart him (seen when he underestimates Caleb), but I thought it was a little silly regardless.

sleepy liked these reviews