Three Colors: Red

Three Colors: Red ★★★★

The final entry in the Three Colours trilogy again carries some excellent direction and an unique approach to storytelling and character development. It ties the whole trilogy together in a poignant fashion, despite once again having minimal core connections to Blue and White.

This is definitely a challenging film to get into, or at least for me it was. Thankfully due to the fact I loved both other entries in the trilogy I found it easy to put my trust in the film despite its floaty aimlessness for the first act. I really started to get into the film once the film refined its focus to the dynamic and conversations between the two lead characters of the film, played fantastically by Irène Jacob and Jean-Louis Trintignant.

This film's approach to character development is really interesting and plays into the central theme of fraternity. It also made me realise what the aimlessness of the first act was setting out to achieve and looking back I can definitely appreciate its purpose in the film despite being nonplussed while actually watching it. This theme of fraternity and unexpected mutual connections ends up punctuating the entire trilogy in a really interesting way as well.

One thing that I'll admit totally went over my head (and I still don't get) is what the abundant use of the colour red is meant to represent. It's splattered all over most scenes in this film in what seems to be a purposeful fashion à la Three Colours: Blue. I don't see how it adds onto the themes of the film, but the way this film handles its characters and the fact its generally directed so well makes it easy to take for granted. I probably wouldn't even be mentioning it if it wasn't for the title of the film and the fact I thought the useage of blue in Blue was so purposeful throughout (and one of my favourite aspects of that entry in the trilogy).

Really great as a whole and something I'll be sure to re-visit alongside the other two films in the trilogy. This in particular excels in its excellently staged direction and unique approach to character building & development, leading to a very engaging and rewarding film.

sleepy liked these reviews