Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey

Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey ★★★★½

Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey is an uplifting, real-life rags-to-riches tale chronicling the ascent to stardom that Elmo's puppeteer Kevin Clash achieved. Its moral of "following your dreams" is tear-inducing, its intimate interviews with the man himself adorable and the ups and downs that he faced on the journey inspiring. Its equally inspiriting conclusion only adds to the aww factor. You really get the feel that Kevin is a lovely, lovely man, especially the look on his face when he meets a child who wants to be a puppeteer, just like him (mirroring the trip he took to Kermit Love's workshop as a teen).

Alas, it was only after watching Being Elmo: and getting the impression that Kevin Clash would be Elmo till the day he couldn't do the voice any more that it came to my attention that he had resigned from the demanding role of Elmo, due to a sex scandal which involved a then-sixteen year old. I was shocked, to say the least. This man, who I had basically spent eighty minutes falling in love with, turned out to have had intimate affairs with a minor. CHILD MOLESTER! I had hurled in horror. However, after reading up on the case, it dawned on me that he really wasn't a child molester, though the name had been slung around, even after the falling through of the case. Look it up, people. And so, inevitably, the once-happy tale of a boy who achieved his dreams is now laced with melancholy.

Don liked these reviews