Terminator: Dark Fate ★★

Criticizing the plots of popcorn action blockbusters is usually a fool's errand. Nobody cares if Hobbs & Shaw makes any sense, but surely it's fair game in the Terminator franchise, where untangling pseudo-scientific time travel logic is 99% of the fun. So the biggest disappointment of Dark Fate (other than its singularly unmemorable title, and the cruel execution of a digital Edward Furlong avatar) is that it offhandedly tosses its biggest question marks into a trashcan of exposition. I'm glad this movie revolves around three women, and relegates Schwarzenegger to a supporting role, but it seems to me that if your story involves a robot assassin that reprograms itself for good over a lifetime of regret, that deserves more than a few perfunctory lines of exposition.

While we're on the topic of telling-not-showing: Dark Fate introduces a new, rather creepy idea to the clichéd evil A.I. subgenre. Rather than a diabolical Matrix-style plan to subjugate humanity, the A.I. in Dark Fate simply turns off the world's power and then sits patiently on its circuitry butt for a few decades while most of humanity kills itself off. Again, like Schwarzenegger's Cyberdyne T-800 developing a conscience offscreen, this is far more interesting than any of the car chases or plane crashes.

Ere I am liked these reviews