The Killing of a Sacred Deer ★★★½

Two other people in the theater, somewhere behind me. As the final scene cuts to black, I hear a whispered, "No!" And then, when the first credits appear a second later. "You can't be serious." And then, "They didn't explain anything."

I'm not sure why The Killing of a Sacred Deer is playing at my local mall multiplex, but it's awfully nice to have such close access to weird, funny, disturbing movies like this with Thor: Ragnarok occupying six of the 13 other screens down the hall.

Yorgos Lanthimos has such a delightfully menacing way with taking what are, essentially, the diseased equivalent of absurd Young Adult fiction "what if" premises, and drilling them tighter and deeper into coils of fear, shame and desperation burrowed somewhere behind the brain, just out of range of conscious reckoning.

The Lobster, while a lot of fun and full of surprises, took on a premise with which I was never able to really sync myself. I spent a lot of time outside of it, trying to figure out what it was doing and why. The Killing of a Sacred Deer is a more simple premise and I tapped into it pretty quickly, finding a lot of implausible pleasure in its teasing and abusive narrative and Lanthimos' peculiar rhythmic tension. I can't say it became meaningful to me in any way whatsoever -- maybe its profundity will land on me suddenly, unsuspecting; or maybe not -- but I enjoyed it quite a bit.