Raw ★★★★★

1. take a shot every time you scream "DON'T PUT THAT IN YOUR MOUTH" at the tv

2. enjoy the quiet peace of death

Okay, real talk:

Julia Ducournau's debut feature Raw is so fresh and feisty and feminine that I can't help but be in love with it. It's as much of a coming of age film as it is a horror film, a tense meditation on the female body and how we love it, hate it, fear it, and embrace it. Sexuality as a monster inside waiting to come out, how our hunger, in all its forms, is to be stifled. Helicopter parenting can't suppress what is part of us from the start, once you taste freedom, you will always want more.

Justine (Garance Marillier) is an honor student starting her first year of veteranary school, a strict vegetarian until her sister and upperclassmen, Alexia (Ella Rumpf) forces her to eat a raw rabbit kidney during a hazing ritual. It's the relationship between these two sisters that drives the film. They laugh, they fight, they are cruel to each other and they encourage each other and at the end of the day, they can plop down with their lipstick smudged all over their faces and battle it out on the Playstation. They seem real, like you're a spectator to their lives and just happened to look in at a bad time.

Sisterhood and desire make the dramatic backbone, but there is plenty of horror to be had. Gore is brief, but effective, deep red and gnashing teeth and never ending tension. Jim William's score is haunting, at times quiet, and at times taking center stage. The scene where Justine gets her first taste of human flesh is so perfect - horrifying and cringe inducing and darkly hilarious, but the absolute best part of it might be the soundtrack.

Raw is carnal and seductive in a way that is brutally, uncomfortably honest, I absolutely adore it. The details are best left to discover for yourself, but this is one of the best movies of the year. And it's on Netflix, so. No excuse.

Hooptober 2017 - 15/31