2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

There's the great match-cut in the opening sequence to Up which shows old man Carl's isolation after his childhood love has died. There's the even better match-cut of Benjamin from The Graduate jumping on his pool raft before cutting to jumping on Mrs. Robinson. Even more infamous is the eye-drain match cut from Psycho which quite literally shows Marion's life draining from her. Yet nothing has said so much with so little as that dam bone-to-spaceship match cut in this movie. That match-cut is the closest form of a film climaxing. We've come so far in time but have we really evolved much after that? No wonder why we see such a dip in sci-fi movies after 1968 well through the mid 1970s becuase 2001 does it (and everything) better! This movie exists beyond the genre plane. It's sci-fi. It's drama. It's commentary. It's dark comedy. It has a clear narrative form, yet it still has a touch of avant garde. Imagine all of the hippies in 1968 that dropped acid right as the abduction scene occurs and Bowman is pulled into the vortex of light. Unreal!

Wyatt liked these reviews