Rocketman ★★★★

Much like Bohemian Rhapsody, Rocketman has a bit of a misfire when it comes to its soundtrack, and what I mean by that is both movies tried to Mamma Mia! their main protagonist. They took the best (best ~ most well known? widely loved? played on spotify—-let’s not make this debate on which song holds the best artistic merit!) from Queen and Elton John and spun the songs back on them both, respectively. But what makes Mamma Mia work so well (fight me! any day, Karen! I will WIN this) is it’s narrative is completely separate from the song creators, which means the song can fit and be molded to fit the drama, just as the drama can be melded to match the tone/mood/setting/aura (many more synonyms) of a specific song.

That’s not possible and creates a problem for both Elton John and Queen. You can TRY and pick songs that go along with the narrative of say Elton’s upbringing. But there’s a limit between creative freedom and a gross inauthenticity, meaning I feel as though the writers have a duty to stick to telling Elton’s life accurately. Maybe not perfectly; but accurately. So what does this mean? It means the movies had a vignette sort of feel to the scenes. Jumping and swishing without a real flow. The only central way to tie it as far as Rocketman’s concern is to periodically bring it back to the rehab facility.

Diatribe aside, it was good. It was heavy and actually way more depressing than I was expecting. The sex scene was somehow not much, especially with the overly-blunt symbolism of the light steaming through the blinds and slowly building to a blinding intensity. We get it; Richard Madden found your *****. But I can’t deny it was good and fun and I tapped my foot to every song that played, no matter how well it fit into the narrative!

Wyatt liked these reviews