Abominable ★★

Against all of my better judgment, I was legitimately looking forward to seeing this... That was a mistake... In my opinion, Dreamworks animation is a trash studio that's only worthwhile films are the HTTYD films, which admittedly, are flawless. For some reason, I saw a glimmer of that HTTYD magic in the trailers for this, and I was holding out hope I'd be pleasantly surprised, and I've gotta say that for the first half hour I really was. Don't get me wrong, it was nowhere near a great film, but I appreciated the dynamic between the main girl (whose character I actually genuinely liked throughout the entire film) and the Yeti creature, and the general look of the film (despite the trailers making the animation look like trash), the coloring and shadowing actually looked pretty great considering ((I did see it in Dolby though)). But as their quest went on, the emotional beats got disgustingly cliched and un-contextualized and the generic, overly topically broad humor intensified until it became one giant eye-rolling mess. There's still a few moments that worked for me, and actually had me dropping tear despite the abhorrently on the nose version of Coldplay's Fix You playing under the scene, but overall, the emotional through-line was so manufactured and contrived that it had me laughing more than feeling...