Ginger & Rosa ★★★★

Considering that this is one of the precious few A24 films I’ve never heard of before watching it, I think it’s safe to say Ginger & Rosa is one of, potentially the single most overlooked A24 film to date, and that needs to change. The methodically natural way director Sally Potter’s able to create and sustain the looming tension seeping into every orifice of these characters’ relationship dynamics is mesmerizing enough for the incredibly melodramatic, soap opera-esque story beats to somehow feel authentic and even profound. It reminded me a lot of Xavier Dolan’s overlooked borderline masterpiece It’s Only The End Of The World with how effective melodrama can be with a hint of self awareness artistically infused in the cinematography, editing, lighting choices, pacing, etc. Speaking of cinematography, Robbie Ryan’s work in this film is the kind of great that confuses you, that makes you feel hopelessly inadequate comparatively… Unsurprisingly, there’s a good deal of Malick’s signature dreamlike wonder and reflection in the visuals. Definitely check this one out, it’s well worth your time…