Batman

Batman ★★★½

I friggen love Batman. Always have. One of my earliest memories is sneaking a Batman costume to school and getting changed into it during lunch, then forgetting to take it off and not realising till Mum came to pick me up. (P.S. How rad was my teacher for not saying anything?) This movie is amazing. It captures the fun of Batman. I love Nolan’s view of Batman as a dark gothic ‘real’ version but this is the Batman of my childhood. Everything that was fun, dark and heroic.

From the moment Danny Elfman’s score slowly builds across a dark screen you know you’re in for a treat. I remember the first time was exposed to it was walking through a video store at like 6 or 7 and seeing the batmobile as a toy on sale. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I knew I had to see the movie that it came from. It wasn’t till several years later that I was allowed. When I finally did see it it was not disappointing in the least. I still think Batman Returns is better but this first installment is killer!

David liked these reviews