Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★

"Don't cry in front of the Mexicans."

America's favorite foot fanatic filmmaker delivers a homage to Hollywood that's guaranteed to impress the Academy because...well, it's about them.

I was disappointed with this pretty much from the offset. Within twenty minutes I knew I'd be in for a long ride of witty one-liners, Brad Pitt being Brad Pitt, and Leonardo DiCaprio trying hard for an Oscar. Now there's nothing wrong with any of those things, but when you insert them into an aimless storyline...the boredom begins.

This is not a typical Tarantino film, so audiences that don't appreciate his style may still be amused. That said, there are still some pleasant Tarantino trademarks (shots, cameos) that are the only amusing parts of the movie.

I enjoyed the setting and portrayal of '60's Hollywood, and the references were smartly worked into the story. The novelty of everything wears off about halfway through and we start seeing more of the same over and over and over again. Plus, it feels like half of the movie is shot in a car.

I think the comedy in this is pretty good, but some scenes don't contribute to the story or the characters. They're merely included to be funny, which is a waste of time and waste of an already weak narrative.

Brad Pitt is the highlight of Once Upon a Time, but I don't really see anything impressively new from him that I haven't already seen. The other actors are fine, but far from Oscar worthy.

I enjoyed the ending I guess, but the movie doesn't come close to blowing me away like I expected. 6.5/10

Block or Report