The Mitchells vs. The Machines

The Mitchells vs. The Machines ★★★★

The Mitchells vs. the Machines is the latest animated movie by Lord & Miller about Katie Mitchell (Abbi Jacobson) going to college and not having the greatest relationship with her father, Rick (Danny McBride), Rick tries to change that by having to go on a roadtrip to her college rather than the airport. Meanwhile at PAL Labs, a new set of robots are revealed that turn rogue and try to capture all of humanity.

As weird as those two story pieces sounded, it actually fits really well into the movie. The story is quite fun and the characters are very fun and memorable. The performances are fun especially from Olivia Colman as PAL, the AI that wants to takeover the world. The animation is very stylish and unique that blends well into the story without going overboard on it. There was a couple of jokes in here that had me laughing my ass off. One thing I also appreciate is that Katie Mitchell is a character that just so happens to be LGBT and Sony has it done subtly (Take notes Disney). I also noticed this is probably the first film where the generation I grew up is now being used for nostalgia such as Numa Numa, Nyan Cat, and weirdly enough the Gibbon from the News update of Epic Rap Battles of History.

If there was some issues I had it would be that the 3rd act is a little too familiar with some certain annoying tropes that i'm tired of but it didn't take away the experience for me. The Mitchells vs. The Machines in general is yet another fun Lord & Miller film like the LEGO Movie and Spider-Verse that are dominating animated movies right now! I honestly could see The Mitchells vs. The Machines take the win for Best Animated next year if they play their cards right. Eitherway, I recommend getting yourself Connected to Netflix to see The Mitchells vs. The Machines (You see cause Connected was the alternate title of the movie and now I just ruined this review's ending by explaining the joke....um....watch the movie :P)

dragonsblood23 liked these reviews