Spider-Man 2 ★★★★½

It's been so long, I forgot Peter struggling with his double life started with this, not Homecoming. In all honesty, despite some of its flaws, I feel it captures that feeling more. Tobey Maguire's performance hasn't aged the best in some spots, but he gives off this early Lee/Ditko vibe when Peter came off moodier. I've even come to accept him not joking around as much. Sam Raimi does have a point that all that quipping can kill the flow of a scene (the MCU can be REALLY bad with this).

Like the fight between Spidey and Doc Ock on the train, one of the best action scenes ever put on screen. Can you imagine it with a bunch of one-liners thrown in? I sure can't. Unfortunately, certain characters still aren't given much to do. Though, despite Mary Jane only having slightly more material here, Kirsten Dunst is as radiant as always. She has this commanding presence.

Same can't be said for John Jameson, who I often forget is even in this movie lol. He's just there to cause a little tension. He barely interacts with anyone, not even his own father (who is arguably the best part of these films). One aspect I was always fond of was Doc Ock, and that has not changed. Probably my favorite version of the character in any media, and Alfred Molina's charismatic performance is a big reason why.

Kyle liked these reviews