Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker ★★★★

Second Viewing

Others have said that they enjoyed this movie more the second time around. And you know what? I did too.

I still would have liked to have seen some more detail about the resurrection of Palpatine. However, I was aware that his Contingency plan is shown in one of the video games. Disney is running Star Wars now, where if something isn't fully explained in a movie, they can fill out the details in a video game. Or a TV show. Starring Baby Yoda. Sorry, what was I saying?

An entire fleet of Star Destroyers was submerged in water. They must have gotten the same idea from the starship Enterprise when it was underwater in Star Trek Into Darkness. Or, perhaps, J.J. Abrams (director of both films) figured if it was good enough for the Enterprise, it's good enough for the new imperial fleet.

Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter, but her parents were nobodies, because they chose to be. I'm okay with this logic, and I'm sure this backstory will show up in a comic book. Starring Baby Yoda. Sorry, I said it again.

Allegiant General Pryde killed General Hux for being a spy. I'd call that letting the past die, killing it if you have to. Pryde had a prior relationship with Palpantine. No wonder Pryde was so allegiant to him. Hux wanted Kylo Ren to lose, not because he wanted the Resistance to win, but because Hux wanted to be Supreme Leader. In The Last Jedi, Hux was pretty pissed that Snoke was dead. Kylo assumed the role of Supreme Leader, because that was Palpatine's plan, but Hux thought he was being groomed for that promotion.

Threepio lost his memory so that our heroes could decipher the Sith language. Later on, Artoo restored Threepio's memory, but I have to wonder, how much of Threepio's memory did he restore? Artoo knows everything. Everything! Including the fact that Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader are one and the same. Threepio's memory was wiped in Revenge of the Sith so he wouldn't recall this fact, but Artoo's remained intact. Does this mean that Threepio now knows the true identity of Darth Vader? Also known as... his maker?

Chewie finally got a medal. While it's good that he's finally being recognized for what he's done, I think it was all the "where's Chewie's medal" Episode IV memes that really got this scene in the film.

Is the TV series "Felicity" part of the Star Wars universe now? I'm not sure, so for now I'll just file it under "Legends."
Maz Kanata still hasn't revealed how she got a hold of Luke's blue lightsaber. At the very least, this should be told as "A Star Wars Short" on Disney+.

I'm not complaining about this movie, really! I enjoyed it, and I look forward to watching it again in the future. These are just some things that I needed to either point out, or poke at. This is not the end of the Star Wars franchise. Star Wars really is forever.