The Green Knight

The Green Knight ★★★★★

One Year Hence…”

Not for everyone I grant you, but for me this is the best film of the year thus far. The breathtaking presentation and wonderful (and quite memorable) cinematography of this picture surpasses everything I’ve seen in recent memory. It’s hypnotic use of colors, natural light, sounds and score really define the films atmospheric and hallucinatory experience and the performances all around are absolutely incredible.

David Lowery’s The Green Knight re-tells the story of Sir Gawain, King Arthur’s nephew, who ventures on a quest to confront the Green Knight and prove his worth in the eyes of the royal family by facing the tester of men. The film may seem slow as the quest commences, but it never really misses a beat in developing the character of Gawain, who is brilliantly played by the awesome Dev Patel, and solidify’s the hero’s journey storytelling. Costume and production design can easily tell you just how much passion and detail goes along with the films storytelling and fascinating visuals. As a medieval/fantasy genre fan the film was VERY satisfying for me… but I would be lying if I said I knew exactly what was going on throughout the film. The friends and foes Gawain faces throughout his quest are different but in a way seem to all correlate in which I will not go into further detail for spoilers sake. Which also just makes the film that much more hallucinating and I loved it. I still have many questions that need answering upon rewatch but as of now, I’m completely in love with this film. It’s aesthetically astonishing. The opening of the film is incredible but the finale is absolutely brilliant. The ending had my jaw dropped and it also reminded me a lot of the finale of Martin Scorsese’s The Last Temptation of Christ.

I cannot recommend this film enough for those who want to just completely step into another realm, to escape, and mess with your head. It’s one of the studio’s finest work. So do yourself a favor and go see The Green Knight. 🦊🌿🪓

Devin liked these reviews