La La Land

La La Land ★★★★★

I am convinced there are two types of people who watch this film. Those who love the ending and those who completely reject it.
I am the former, my dad is the latter. I made my entire family go to the theaters to see this with me again I loved it so much.
The second time around was a more deeper experience, picking up the nuances and smaller bits I missed the first time around.... But I know deep within my heart I'll never match my initial viewing of this film: utterly overwhelmed by its magnitude and melancholy to the point of falling apart to form a smiling puddle of tears.
I am still impressed by the technical achievements on display here... The long takes, the tracking shots, choreography, the hidden cuts....
Chazelle is now a forced to be reckoned with, and I'm ecstatic to see what he does next.

Ugh. So rarely does a film reduce me to nothing except a quivering ball of sadness, where my only escape is to hum Someone in the crowd over and over again. Truly believe this is the best film of 2016.

Ryan liked these reviews