Django Unchained

Django Unchained ★★★★★

I loved Django Unchained the first time around, but watching it a second time I have a considerably greater appreciation for it. The way Quentin Tarantino plays with classic Western tropes while making the genre completely his own is incredibly styled, funny, and devastating. It’s a very real look at a horrifying time ruled by racism accompanied by some gloriously violent exaggeration of the bounty hunting profession. Django and Dr. King are both immensely lovable characters to follow on their quest while each of the new adversaries they face is such scum of the Earth that you feel so satisfied as they’re picked off in the most extreme ways possible. As disturbing to the core as the more serious parts of this movie can be, the heart of the movie that really picks apart the true atrocities of slavery, I really believe all of it needs to be seen. People need to understand how utterly evil the shit their ancestors felt obligated to pull was so that such actions will stop being repeated, and the way Tarantino conveys that message in this film while also stressing just how much those old abusers deserved to pay in blood is incredible. My whole family agrees that this movie is a masterpiece through and through.

A+