Malcolm & Marie

Malcolm & Marie ★★★½

Malcolm & Marie has its moments. I can imagine the onslaught of reviews waiting to be typed that hasn’t yet, praising the performances of both Zendaya and John David Washington. Emotions are breathtakingly raw where we see two actors who dedicated themselves to the material.
    I found myself hanging on to every word of the dialogue of the film. From Marie’s heartbreaking takes on being taken for granted (“I feel like once you know someone's there for you, and once you know they love you; you never actually think of them again. It's not until you're about to lose someone, that you finally pay attention.”) to Malcolm’s angry proclamations of love (“You want control because you can’t imagine the reason I’m with you is because I love you. Everything that you’ve been through. Everything. That’s what made you you.”)
    The shots as well are ✨ amazing ✨ where I found myself holding my breath whenever Zendaya lights her cigarette with a gas lighter.
     Despite all the plusses that I mentioned, I found the whole film quite exhausting. The constant bantering back and forth doesn’t leave the audience room to breathe; the constant kiss and make up that goes in a loop for the majority of the film is draining, so much during that one scene where Malcolm finally receives a review and is angry at someone/something else other 👏🏻  than 👏🏻 Marie 👏🏻 was a breath of fresh air.
    Malcolm & Marie is not unwatchable. You might however find yourself realizing that what Marie said during the start of the film, “Nothing productive is going to be said tonight,” is nothing short of true.

💋🎄 Andi 🎄💋 liked these reviews