Army of the Dead

Army of the Dead ★★★

This movie was an absolute blast. I had such a good time with this movie. Zack Snyder’s Army of the Dead must be among the most bombastic and grandiose zombie films ever made.

The opening credits is one of the most prolonged, blood-spattered and wildly entertaining in recent film history. This is an unapologetically over-the-top, blood-soaked, orgy of stylized violence filled with familiar action-movie characters going through familiar action-movie paces, with a whole lot of CGI, a bounty of epic set-pieces and a borderline exhausting number of kills.

The plot is an assemblage of whatever-can-go-wrong-will-go-wrong complications. The film gathers momentum, but its first half is too generic, and the whole thing is a little too long.

The cast are a real pleasure to watch. Tig Notaro is awesome every time she’s on screen, making her last-minute casting a major bonus and I swear I cannot tell she was edited into the movie after it was shot, they did an admirable job inserting her without any of the seams showing.

It’s a stylishly grandiose, muscular but conventional popcorn pageant that’s got something for just about everyone.

SUDHAKAR KUMAR liked these reviews