Gangs of New York ★★★★

8/10

"You know how I stayed alive this long? All these years? Fear. The spectacle of fearsome acts. Somebody steals from me, I cut off his hands. He offends me, I cut out his tongue. He rises against me, I cut off his head, stick it on a pike, raise it high up so all on the streets can see. That's what preserves the order of things. Fear."

Martin Scorsese tells the tale of The OG Gangsters of America. These gangsters aren't the faces of Henry Hill or Whitey Bulger but of Amsterdam Vallon and Will 'Bill the Butcher' Cutting in one of Martin Scorsese's more under appreciated films. It seems like everyone underestimates the early years of the Scorsese and DiCaprio collaboration when I think it's some of Scorsese's finest work. The Aviator is way too underrated and is one of Scorsese's best. Scorsese is probably the only director from the original 1970s dream team of film makers that still delivers in every single film he does. The final battle in this is truly an all timer. Some of the bloodiest and most fun I've had watching a Scorsese film in a while. Not as fun as Goodfellas or The Wolf of Wall Street but close.

Bren liked these reviews