Stalker

Stalker ★★★★★

When I watched this film for the first time a couple months ago, I didn’t like it that much. I found it boring, not very interesting, and just disappointing.
I don’t know what I was thinking back then. Was I just not in the right mindset at the time? Did I just not know what to expect? Or did I just not understand Tarkovsky’s style of filmmaking? I don’t think I will ever know. I’m glad I gave this film another chance because I really like it now. The cinematography in this movie is fantastic and very beautiful, which even back when I first watched it was something I liked about it. I didn’t really like the super long shots that last for a long time on my last viewing, but thinking about it now, it really adds to the atmosphere of the film. I like how in the beginning of the movie when it’s still in the city, the movie is black and white. When they finally arrive at the Zone, the movie is in colour. I really like the themes of this movie too. If there was a room that could grant you any type of desires you wish, would you go? Would these desires even be worth it in the end? Would they even bring you the happiness you think it will? I used to think that this movie was overrated, but I was wrong. I kinda regret hating on it now. Although it was fun angering some Tarkovsky fanboys whenever I called the movie boring. They would get so mad, and use the same comebacks everytime like “he’s an anime fan so of course he would say that”. Like what does anime have to do with me not liking a movie? Well anyways like I said, I like the movie now. Might go in more detail in a different review perhaps because there is a lot to say about it.

Aidan liked these reviews