Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★★★

The biggest laugh this movie got from me was when Nic Cage’s SpideyNoir talks about how long he holds lit matches in his hand. I screamed.

I don’t know if I’ll be able to articulate too well why I didn’t love this. The animation is definitely something I’ve never seen before and while it is oftentimes magnificent and mostly  as colorful as superhero movies get, I found myself exhausted by the usual combinations of flashing lights and explosions amongst jumbled chaotic fight sequences.  I did love the balance of the cartoonish character designs blending into what felt like a futuristic computer generated Eyes Wide Shut dreamlike NYC at night.

The structure also just doesn’t really feel that fluid here. Too many cooks in the kitchen, yada yada. I liked the chris pine spidey better than Jake Johnson for what it’s worth.

And maybe I’m out of my mind but what the fuck is up with the way the annoying dad cop ends up being validated after telling his son that the boy’s uncle is bad news. Sony’s not slick. Or I’m an idiot. But I think they’re not slick. Idk.