Kong: Skull Island

Kong: Skull Island ★★★★★

Why do we, as humans, continue to trample all over things we don't understand? As a species, why do we have a horrid desire to destroy and control? Why do we think it's okay to come into someone else's home and mess up their way of life? I love Brie Larson's character (I love the female character in all these "monster" movies) for this reason: she sees. She realizes. Kong isn't just some giant creature destroying and killing for no good reason; he's protecting.

Alright, so maybe I'm just a big, big sucker for the gentle giant. But this was my favorite thing about Godzilla, too. The people were so afraid of him, and I felt vindicated at the end when they begin to hail him as a hero - it's what Godzilla deserved after everything he did, man! I feel this way with Kong, too. The group of people on that boat understand that he saved them. He put himself on the line for them. For the peaceful animals on that island. For the other human inhabitants.

There are plenty of other things I could say about this movie, tiny things that would take up too much room. So I'll leave it at this: in a resurgence of "monster movies", Kong's not a monster. He's what all humans should strive to be.

drucilla liked this review