Tenet

Tenet ★★★★

I may or may not have watched a sub-legal stream of someone recording their theater screen since nobody in this country wanted to take COVID seriously, meaning no theaters in my city are open.

If you thought it was confusing, try watching an overexposed 480p recording with bad audio. I had to watch several scenes again to try and decipher the dialogue, and in some cases I couldn’t make out what was being said and had to infer. But I suppose that’s what I get for being an impatient sonovabitch.

A few quick thoughts: Yes the score is a bit loud, but it helps that it sounds good. The characters are likeable—especially JDW and Robert Pattinson, but the film lacks the emotional depth and connection that some of Nolan’s other works (Inception, Interstellar) hammer home so well. Some of the set pieces were amazing, but at times hard to follow. As with all Nolan films, I’m sure it’ll get better with each viewing.

Consider my rating fluid until I get a chance to see it properly, but for now I highly enjoyed it—typical Nolan confusion and all. Hopefully next time I can watch it on the big screen.

[EDIT 2/6/21: I just rewatched it and I’m surprised how much more I like it. NEW REVIEW HERE]

dylan🌹 liked these reviews