Leprechaun 4: In Space

Leprechaun 4: In Space ★★

"As Shakespeare said, shit happens!"

The Leprechaun has somehow made his way to space where he tries to court an alien princess and finds himself pitted against a group of mercenary marines.

Leprechaun 4: In Space lives up to the everything you would expect from it's title. Until this point one of the few positives that the Leprechaun franchise held strong was staying away from the CGI FX of the time. I don't know if it was expense or preference, but in the 1990s CGI just wasn't ready for low budget horror films. All of a sudden we open to the worst CGI asteroids and spaceship outside of video game cutscenes of the time and I can't help but laugh. 3DO graphics on display in a big way, and it only gets worse. They are everything a logical person can expect based on the title and that's just the beginning. It's cheap CGI all day around here. Five years before Jason Vorhees, the Leprechaun arrives in space in all of it's ugly glory.

A surprising lack of gore and unsurprising indifference of canon stand tall around here. Does this franchise even have canon? I don't think it does. It's just Leprechaun reappearing in different locations.
There is a scene where the Leprechaun emerges from a man's dick, killing him in the process with no blood to be seen. Terrible. Funny but terrible. It's the ultimate scene in a film that abandoned horror and all of the gore that comes with it and tried to inject comedy in their place. This shit sucks.

In some cases it's ok to be terrible, hell they have a whole genre of film that people call "so bad it's good." This is an example of a production team actively trying to fit into that mold, and like the rest, nine times out of ten they fail. This is just bad. It took four films to finally get a rendition of "Danny Boy" but at least we got that. It's one of the few shitty highlights in this lump of dung. In conclusion, what this film amounts to is seven or eight belly laughs in an otherwise wretched experience. None of the Leprechaun films have been great thus far, but this is just a stinking pile of awful. If you own a physical copy of this film do me a favor and give it a sniff. I'm sure it smells like....

I guess it's time to leave space and go back to the hood...ugh...

Leprechaun Films Ranked