Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir Dogs ★★★½

A group of thieves botch a diamond robbery. One dies and the rest make it back to the hideout. They don't know each other outside of the robbery and they all go by color codenames. Due to the nature of the botch they are convinced someone is a rat and they intend to find out who.

Reservoir Dogs is Quentin Tarantino's debut film and he's in his own first scene. One of the staples of a Tarantino film is having his characters tell stories to each other. This one has a lot of that and it's great. With a star studded cast like the one we have here, you can't miss with delivery on dialogue and that's more important in this film than most because the majority of it takes place in a warehouse with men talking to each other. That could get boring quickly in an inferior film, but the awesome actors and brilliantly written characters ensure you won't be bored for a second. Even though Michael Madsen basically plays the same personality in every role this is probably his best. He has always portrayed good criminals but the criminal psychopath seems to be perfect for him.

Expect the blood and profanity to be dialed up. Even though it's his first film it's still very much his typical style. Reservoir Dogs is a great debut film from one of the best director's of our time. Anyone watching this back in 1992 could have probably told you this guy was going places. It's not my favorite Tarantino flick but it's damn good. Hell, I don't think I've seen a bad one yet.

Block or Report