The Invisible Man

The Invisible Man ★★★★★

As a Dark Universe stan, I was disappointed at the lack of Tom Cruise & Russell Crowe.

Honestly, I didn't know what to expect from The Invisible Man. I like Leigh Whannell a lot and was a pretty big fan of his 2018 film, Upgrade. Unfortunately, the trailers did a pretty poor job of advertising the film by making it look like just another Blumhouse horror film...and that's the opposite of what it is.

Yes, Invisble Man has a conventional element to it with the concept of the Invisble antagonist being used to great effect. What makes this film so different however is Elizabeth Moss and her character's emotional arc. Blumhouse have never been the best with tackling difficult subjects (Into The Dark has some laughable social commentary elements in some of their episodes) but this film thankfully tackles the theme of domestic abuse & the psychological torture that comes from it in a way that felt respectful while still having it play by the rules of the thriller genre.

The direction by Leigh Whannell is absolutely fantastic. A lot of techniques from Upgrade are used again here to great effect but there's also some really fantastic long shot sequences that really play into the fear of not being able to see what might be right in front of you. It's masterful filmmaking because of how simple it really is. At a budget of $7 million dollars, it's amazing what they play around with on that budget. One sequence in a hospital had my jaw on the floor from just how fucking cool it was.

Invisble Man is easily one of Blumhouse's best and an excellent restart of the dark universe thing (or whatever we're calling it now) Elizabeth Moss gives a fantastic performance & Leigh Whannell puts his all in the amazing direction. This is one of the best horrors I've seen in a while with some creepy as fuck imagery. If the trailers had you weary, please give it a chance! And to Blumhouse, hire a better trailer editor.

Aaron liked these reviews