Drive ★★★★★

On my first viewing years ago, I can remember thinking to myself "This is how films are supposed to look". It was a timely awakening to the power of visuals that I before hadn't quite yet experienced. And it's resonated with me in every work crafted and viewed since, reminding of what cinema is capable of achieving.

From the harrowing organs under the golden blue L.A. lights in the opening heist, Refn invites a near spiritual atmosphere to his presentation. This follows through in the long quiet moments shared between characters - allowing their bodies instead to carry the language. This is where Drive separates itself from the standard packaged high-speed thriller. It relies on careful composition and a curated score to articulate the emotions and intentions of those involved. With it carries the purity of feeling that words often fail to invoke. And when it comes to its set-pieces, Director Refn arouses those unmitigated textures that only dreams can offer. One derived from a place that's alien to it's context, yet perfectly captures what intends. Therein lies its charm.

Many will find themselves un-eased with the absence of language in its literal sense. But, while they're too busy looking for words, they'll be missing out on the simplicity in carrying a mother's child to bed, and other behavioral cues that say more than enough. You eyes just have to listen.

It's cool, it's chic, it's a special miracle of filmmaking that happens rarely, and in my humble opinion sits at the highest standard for the medium.