Taste of Cherry

Taste of Cherry ★★★★½

Filmwelt Filmclub #49 - Taste of Cherry - chosen by Yaron

Close-Up is one of my favourite films of all time. While you can definitely see similarities between it and Taste of Cherry, mainly because of the authentic dialogue, wide shots and long takes, I love them both because of different reasons. Kiarostami's film from 1990 is a fiction/documentation hybrid in which a case is reenacted by the same people that were involved in it. It's one of the cleverest put together films in my opinion and characterizes its main players in a way I've never seen before. Kiarostami's latter film on the other hand feels a bit more basic overall. It's about someone willing to kill himself, driving around and seeking help to end his life. The meta level Close-Up had is missing, but you get even better cinematography and a mixture of depressing, beautiful and bitter-sweet scenes. It made me cry once, not because it's inherently sad, but because it builds up a huge amount of sorrow in you that is converted into inspiring energy able to make you smile with tears in your eyes. The Irani filmmaker really got me a second time. I consider him to be one of the best after seeing two of his films. I hope he got the consistency to stay that.

Lu 💫 liked these reviews