The Babadook ★★★★½

Ba-ba-ba... dook! Dook! DOOOOOK!

Far from your typical horror film, The Babadook is notably light on jump scares (though there are some), there's no gore either - instead, it burrows its inventive and unique approach into your head in a completely different way.

A tale of parenting gone awry, the story follows mother Amelia and son Samuel. Widowed when her husband died in an accident on the way to deliver Samuel, Amelia's relationship with her son is notably strained from the opening scenes. When a mysterious children's book "The Babadook" shows up on Samuel's bookshelf one night, things begin to become supernatural with terrifying results. The book's creature, The Babadook stalks Amelia and son relentlessly keeping Amelia sleep deprived and on edge - or does it?

The Babadook left me guessing more than once legitimately raising the hair on the back of my neck multiple times. It's really nothing quite like anything I've seen before, and that's truly a great thing. I was on the edge of my seat multiple times, catching subtle foreshadowing for the duplicity of the characters, making me question what the reality of the film was, and if we were truly seeing things as they were, or through the eyes of an exhausted Amelia.

A must watch for any fan of supernatural and psychological horror, The Babadook crafts an unnerving tale of motherhood, bedtime stories, and forces a viewer to really ask what can really be the most terrifying, reality or the supernatural? And it does so with intent and brilliance.