Sorry to Bother You ★★★★

An anti-capitalist comedy that's wonderfully original in its flights of fancy and painfully well-observed when it hews closer to lived-in reality (and as a former telemarketer who lasted all of four and a half hours in the job I feel I'm qualified to pay that compliment). The directorial debut of Boots Riley of the Coup -- with the clear influence of Gondry, Kubrick and maybe just a little Mel Brooks -- is fast-moving, tremendously witty and harrowing, and immaculately cast. Lakeith Stanfield really is one of the most wide-ranging and deeply gifted young actors working, and the entire ensemble is terrific. My fist was higher and higher in the air until Riley somewhat bunted the conclusion; no real objections to what "happens," but I feel it could have been staged and edited more smoothly. Three cheers for the Tune-Yards score as well -- I liked it more than their last album!

(Two notes with slight potential spoilers:)

- (Also wouldn't have minded the bleaker, Gilliam-esque finale I felt was coming, though given how the Democratic primary recently played out I'm kind of glad it didn't go in that direction, since we already had to cope with that IRL.)
- The staging of a certain plot point really seems to me to forecast a similar moment of breathless uprooting in... a particularly and vastly acclaimed motion picture released in the past year. Hitchcock's mastery of the skill of making you think you're sitting down for a different movie than the one you're finally delivered remains untouched... but more than one modern director is tapping on his door.