Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★½

Naming two more disparate superhero films than 2018's Incredibles 2 and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse would be difficult if not impossible. At heart, Incredibles 2 is the story of a family of aristocratic ubermench, forces of nature, and their struggle against the weak, resentful technocrats, i.e. the rest of us. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse posits that the attainment of superpowers is subject only to chance, not birth. It is performative, socially constructed, and not at all the domain of mother nature and her horrors. Anyone can be Spider-Man. You could be Spider-Man. If only you had Spider-Privilege. This is interesting because these films more or less illustrate the opposing sides of our political dialectic all aflame everywhere from the latter half of the 20th century. Both aforementioned movies have heart to spare, but they also never really attempt seduction of the other side in any meaningful way, which make them further analogous to our Right-Left ideological divide. The rating here is only result of this being a Spider-Man film expressly for fans of Spider-Man, as it should be. I would complain if the recent Yu-Gi-Oh! or Bakemonogatari films were not designed with fans of their respective television shows in mind. This is however, also very much to their detriment, and that of art in general. We can't just retreat further and further into our own isolated niches, no matter how resonant they may be with popular audiences. If we don't start reaching across the aisles again, pretty soon we'll stop talking altogether.

disneydreamdiary liked these reviews