Black and Blue

Black and Blue ★★★

The first act is really really great. With these movies you can’t tell if it’s going to be bias to any point of view with cops and all but it esta lies a very neutral view recognizing that police brutality exists but at the same time many cops also get treated unfairly due to this.

The story itself is good and there is some beautiful cinematography and some great lighting.

You can tell the director and the dp were really trying but that is also a flaw of this movie. I don’t want to see they were trying too hard or that the film came off as pretentious but I can’t find another way to describe it.

It makes some shots feel out of place or just weird. I’m happy they weren’t trying to do basic coverage and tried to do visual storytelling but sometimes the basics are better than bad shots.

The suspense in this film is pretty good but I feel like they could have done a bit more. The action is also pretty good too.

While I love the first act, I wish they stuck around longer to do more character development.

The film just needed to be put in the oven longer then it would have stood out. It’s a good watch but not a must watch