Midsommar

Midsommar ★★★★★

Midsommar is one of the most disturbing pieces of cinema I have ever seen and that is not a bad thing. The disturbing aspect support the film, by helping challenge the ideals and problems of the main characters. Dani played by Florence Pugh is magnificent in her role as she is able to convey someone with grief and loss perfectly. Her movements, word choice and demeanor are in line with the character. Everyone else also does an amazing job with their roles as nobody feels out of place and feels as if the were written for the role. Moving away from the acting the film has some of the darkest imagery I have seen in years, as Ari Aster makes you stomach churn as you can’t look away from the screen even when you want to. This imagery helps progress the film and show the wickedness of the cult and isn’t there just to be there. Everything feels deliberate, you see clues in every scene that pieces together the plot if you look close enough. Ari Aster and Pawel Pogorzelski use cinematography masterfully with great long takes that envelope you into the Swedish landscape, showing details to help further the story. As the shot composition is brilliant with amazing choice of shot locating and color correction. The score of the film helps with the tone as violins and harmonic sounds full the screen with what seems nice and beautiful, but the harmomany are more than sinister.
Overall I felt sick to my stomach one second and the next I was in awe of the writing and cinematography. 10/10

Egan liked these reviews