A Brighter Summer Day ★★★★★

This was my 1000th film. I wanted to pick something special to mark the occasion, and it's safe to say that this defied my expectations to the highest degree. I've been sitting around for the better part of 2 days trying to think of something to say about this film, but this is just one of those cases where words fail to express how I feel and the genius shown onscreen escapes my current grasp. These last two and a half months or so have seen my biggest drop off in years when it comes to watching movies, due to a combination of work and being intermittently busy and depressed. But watching A Brighter Summer Day reminded me of all the reasons why I fell in love with movies in the first place and began to take them seriously as a form of artistic expression about 4-5 years ago, most specifically the ability to share an experience from a different perspective and different culture that is so intimate and personal, and yet so relatable in the universal human emotions that it explores. Like Yi Yi, this is one of those rare, life-invigorating cinematic gems that has shaken up the way I consider my own life, and will leave me thinking deeply about it long after I've seen it. I didn't know it was possible to miss Edward Yang this much.