John Dies at the End

John Dies at the End ★★★½

if you're reading this, it's probably already too late. you've already turned off the movie or got bored so you're looking through your phone reading what other people thought about it to avoid formulating an opinion because the interest is already depleted. Why waste any more time on a film that isn't that great anyway?

David Wong, or well Jason Pargin, is one of many quintessential pop culture writers of the early aughts. Inappropriate and comfortably serviceable for what I like to call "men who normally don't read books, but cannot put this one down" lit. Listen, that isn't even the hardest knock on the guy, frankly I find the book entertaining and the initial premise of his multidimensional world to be incredibly thrilling. The mystery behind the "soy sauce" reads like an exercise in pure stream of consciousness writing, the "sauce" is creativity and the limitlessness of fiction; the blur between writer and character. Kind of like Naked Lunch for college bros. The main problem is that the story isn't really about any of that, I made that up. Wishful thinking on my part. This is more of an exercise in cramming as many pop culture references as possible into something without blatantly copying it, (or just typing as many "I LOVE THAT THING" in as possible, ahem Ready Player One) all the while creating something that is indicative of the time period it's in -- which unfortunately is what makes this the hardest pill to swallow. Timelessness is not an adjective I would use here, forgoing metaphor for funny by jerking off on its own "coolness" and then you start losing interest once you get to the mall. I do appreciate Coscarelli as a directional choice though because it works for this whole vibe before...

David Wong is cool, David Wong knows cool things, David Wong is like you guys, David Wong needs a new hobby. All hail Korrok

Block or Report