Scream

Scream ★★★★

Hoop-Tober 2.0, Film #2

I’m probably going to preface most of my reviews for Hoop-Tober with this, but I have pretty much no familiarity with the horror genre. I guess I’m going to be playing catch-up with a lot of the flicks I see this month. That being said, I’m really fucking excited.

In light of Wes Craven’s recent passing, I was really looking forward to see why he was such an esteemed director, and boy was I not disappointed! Every shot, every scare, and the film as a whole felt meticulously planned out but not to the point that it lost its edge. And even though there were bits of dialogue that were cheesy, it was in good taste, because a sleek commercial horror movie like this doesn’t need realism—that would go against the purpose—it only needs to be exciting and fun. I also appreciate that while there were jump-scares, there was a full range of different techniques to scare the viewer so it didn’t leave me feeling short changed.

I think I was listening to Eli Roth’s interview on Kevin Pollak’s Chat Show (who, love him or hate him seems to be a good resource for learning about horror) and he said something about how this movie revolutionized horror by making it self-aware, which wound up backfiring through the nineties and early 2000’s. As I keep watching and analyzing these kinds of movies I’m gonna try to keep that in mind.

Super good stuff! I can’t wait for the next one!!!

*Note: I thought Dewey was the killer for a solid half hour! I can never predict these things…