Wendy and Lucy

Wendy and Lucy ★★★★★

Dang. That was sad.

Wendy & Lucy is a melancholy slice of small-town American life. Kelly Reichardt, Jon Raymond, and Michelle Williams as a trio, I’d say, give a painstakingly honest perspective of “drifting.” Woman, dog, semi-functioning car. Can the three make it to Alaska?

“You can’t get an address without an address. You can’t get a job without a job. It’s all fixed.”

Spending the night sleeping in your car in the parking lot of a Walgreens is a pretty distinct, 21st-century American form of vagabond life. You watch Wendy make decisions for herself and Lucy. Her dog represents the ever-fleeting, but ever-possible joy of life.

It’s pretty cinéma vérité in approach — no flash, no flare. Just a casual observance of Wendy and her environment. It doesn’t get more American than this. It’s not pretty, but it’s authentic.

Michelle Williams is the soul of this movie. And as always, she was phenomenal.

Considering world events & the pandemic, you can’t help but ponder the other “Wendy’s & Lucy’s” that are wandering presently, or in the coming months. It’s sad to think about.

“I hope it all works out. I know it will,” is said in this movie. I hope it did work out in the context of this movie, and I hope it works out for the Wendy’s & Lucy’s of the world.

EJ liked these reviews