The Master

The Master ★★★★½

Lancaster Dodd: If you figure a way to live without serving a master, any master, then let the rest of us know, will you? For you'd be the first person in the history of the world.

This was a slow but interesting movie about a war veteran, who struggles to find his place in the world, which makes him join a weird religious group.
We see our main character behave weird and irrational, probably because of PTSD, which makes the master/leader of the almost cult like family, do various tests and rituals on him to try and lead him on the right path.
The movie is not as straightforward as it might sound and the movie makes room for multiple interpretations, which makes it hard for me to decide what the true meaning is. This gives the movie many thematic opportunities and I will definitely be rewatching this movie in the future.
The acting was phenomenal and Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman had such a good chemistry, which made every scene between them a great joy to watch.
The movie had a nice style and was full of beautiful shots and sequences, which along with the good dialogue made this my favorite Paul Thomas Anderson movie so far.

Mads liked these reviews