The Mitchells vs. The Machines

The Mitchells vs. The Machines ★★★

Ok so this is apparently one of the best animated movies of the year. Don’t get me wrong it is a good family movie, that can entertain both kids and adults, but after seeing so many positive reviews I still expected more and I think it works best for the kids.
The story was very generic and predictable and at times felt a bit repetitive too. I liked that they often had callbacks to something that happened earlier and all the references to random stuff were cool too, but the writing could have been stronger.
The movie had some funny jokes, but it also had many jokes that I didn’t think worked that well. It ranged from childish humor to boomer computer humor. I cringed at too much of the comedy and I cringed even harder every time they played that stupid maya hii maya haah song.
The movie had some emotional moments that it handled surprisingly well and in a believable way, which really was my favorite thing about the movie.
I also liked the movie’s style, though I think it was a bit too fast and flashy at times, which also could make it annoying in the more action packed scenes.
Despite of the fast pace and style, the movie still felt too long and the ending really dragged out.
The voice acting was good and the characters had a good dynamic between them. The other thing people seem to care a lot about is that it is the first Sony animated movie to feature an LGBT character, so that is cool too I guess, though it was only quickly mentioned once.
The movie is not exactly bad, but I just found it very average and I guess I just don’t see what all the fuss is about.

Mads liked these reviews