Insomnia

Insomnia ★★★½

In honor of repeatedly almost falling asleep at work I think now would be a good time to review Chris Nolan’s forgotten not-quite-classic Insomnia.

You may recall back in the year 2002, Robin Williams went a bit against his usual family friendly comedian style and made a trio of movies where he gets to go deep and dark and twisted. I previously reviewed his crazy turn as a lonely older convenient store photograph developer in the movie One Hour Photo, he also got to play the dark comedy game with Edward Norton as rival Kids TV show hosts in Death to Smoochy. The former movie is full on creepy and the latter just gets really wild and dirty.

But with the third movie in the Dark Williams Trilogy, he goes straight up serial murderer. As Al Pacino tries to catch him before he kills again and before the endless Alaskan Days drive him to madness.

As with most Nolan movies it is well made and high quality. You can feel the creeping anxiety and exhaustion as the sun refuses to set. Williams plays it cool as the cat and mouse game runs it’s course. This is probably the most traditional movie Nolan has made. But don’t take that as an insult. It is well worth your time and should in no way put you to sleep.

Speaking of, I’m going to go sneak out of work and take a nap. Goodbye!