Three Colors: Red

Three Colors: Red ★★★★★

France's third color in this trilogy stands for Fraternity, but in real life, red stands for so many things. This masterpiece does not fail to address both meanings, that is, the patriotic and the emotional. Fraternity is displayed through the uncontrollable factors that determine the outcomes of our own existence. It is easy to construct criticisms, but what people see is the beautiful, green garden in the neighbor's house or the solitary tree with rotting branches, and not the story behind the tree and the interior of the house. We are all equal, and in such condition we should execute fraternity towards others through free will. This story makes a perfect compliment to the humanitarian ideas first imposed by Bleu and Blank.

What is even more genius about Rouge is that it dares to ask something strong in the end, and I'll address that question with a Biblical quote: "What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes." (James 4:14). So, besides the ending being inevitable, it reunites the three stories once again in an ironic(?) call of fate.

96/100