In the Mood for Love

In the Mood for Love ★★★★½

4K restoration @ LF3. It’s been a while since I’ve seen any of them but I’ve been deliberately holding off on rewatching Wong Kar Wai movies ever since they announced the restorations a whole entire calendar year ago so consider the agony of waiting for the pandemic to die down so I can finally see these movies in a damn theater—well, the pandemic is worse than ever but we’re here anyway 🤡

Haven’t seen these movies since 2010 or so and in this and 2046’s case, I might as well be seeing these films for the first time. This is one of the hottest sad movies ever; completely embodies unspoken, voracious desire and yearning with a terrifying degree of intimacy more than any other movie I can think of. Every minute detail here adds to this longing, melancholic mood: the jade tea sets among other instances of exquisite mise-en-scene, Maggie Cheung’s increasingly opulent outfits, the close-ups, the intense musical cues, just a continuous swell of raw sensuality and loneliness. This is a movie that seduces at will, turns your insides into a bag of worms and sets your organs on fire all at once; the sensations get quite overwhelming especially in the confines of a dark theater in a large screen. See this restoration.

9.25