Stalker ★★★★★

There has been much inquiry over the past thirty five years or so as to what this film is about - the three faces of the human soul, perhaps? Spirituality? Mortality?

"How would I know the right word for what I want? How would I know that actually I don't want what I want? Or that I actually don't want what I don't want? They are elusive things: the moment we name them, their meaning disappears, melts, dissolves like a jellyfish in the sun."

As with the rest of Tarkovsky's masterpieces, there isn't much of a point in trying to write a review for Stalker. Any attempt to put your thoughts on this film into words will remove something special, something personal from its vision in your mind. Stalker will hold a different meaning to each and every person, so when it comes to how you feel about this film, there is truly no need to explain yourself. It would be like trying to explain something deeply experiential to a person who was not there to share that experience with you - they would have no way of understanding. Keep this film close to your heart... keep it inside you and protect it, for it is, quite simply, one of the greatest films ever made. And that's all that needs to be said about Stalker, because the rest will come naturally to those who watch it.

Eli liked these reviews