Two Days, One Night

Two Days, One Night ★★★★★

Yet another masterpiece of a sociological study from the Dardenne brothers/geniuses. If you are a fan of their work, you will LOVE this film! It's one of their best - even better than The Kid with a Bike, right up there with their late 90s stuff like La Promesse and Rosetta. Marion Cotillard delivers her newest powerhouse performance; with Rust and Bone, The Immigrant and now this under her belt, I'm certain that she's one of the greatest international actors out there and I can't wait to see what she does next. The cinematography has that Dardenne pure-grittiness that I'm sure you're used to if you're familiar with the brothers' works - long, close tracking shots and no fancy tricks, perfectly complimenting the realism. But what is possibly my favorite aspect of the film is that, aside from being a brilliant study of human beings' reactions to monetary issues/issues of economics, it also works extremely well as a character study of an emotionally unstable person and her struggle to escape loneliness. One of the best films of the year.

Eli liked these reviews