Mission: Impossible

Mission: Impossible ★★★★★

Anytime I'm in a hotel room, I go over to the bedside table, open the drawer, and look for a Bible. If I find one, I open the front cover and say, “They stamped it, didn’t they? Those damn Gideons.”

This was the second movie I was obsessed with as a kid. (The first was Apollo 13.) It came out when I was 12, and I watched it on VHS constantly. This movie is the reason I've had the haircut I've had since I was 12 (except for a couple of years in college when I grew it long, because college). It's the reason I had to take the Chunnel to Paris when I was in London a few years ago. It and The Bourne Identity are the reason I try to stay in shape, because it doesn't matter how smart you are if something comes down to a foot race. It's the reason I'm not concerned about maybe needing to wear glasses one day. And if I'm ever in Prague, I'm going to run drunkenly down the cobblestones as if I'm about to run into the river.

It's also one of those rare childhood favorites that still holds up when I watch it now. The chemistry between Cruise and Redgrave is electric. Paul Hirsch's editing, as always, is flawless. I wish I could make these superhero movie-makers re-watch this movie a thousand times to learn how to put together an action sequence. That final train sequence is still one of the best action sequences I've ever seen, and action sequences are like all we do now.

Also, I love the thing with the rat, because Jean Reno, and it makes the thing happen that makes Tom Cruise balance mere inches off the floor.

Elijah liked this review